Friday, October 26, 2012

Halloween Spooktacular! Guest Post: Jess @ The Tales Compendium


Hi everyone!
Today I have Jess from The Tales Compendium joining me to answer some questions about Halloween!
What do you love about Halloween: I love that it allows me to act like a kid again. I love getting dressed up and being part of something that not many people really do here (see below).
How do you celebrate Halloween: Here in Australia, Halloween isn’t very popular. But, one of my best friends is from Canada and every year she transforms her whole front yard into this amazing Halloween scene.



We all dress up and scare the trick or treaters who continue to show up every year because nowhere else really goes ‘all out’. After the last of the kids have left, we all relax by watching a collection of Halloween-esq movies. Hocus Pocus and Sleepy Hollow are always repeated but Practical Magic, The Covenant, and The Craft have been known to make an appearance (I’m not one for ‘proper’ horror movies).

                                                      (Jess and her sister when they were young)
What is your favourite Halloween treat? I love candy-corn which I’ve never seen here in Australia but my friend buys it online especially for Halloween each year. But really, anything with chocolate will do :)
What was/is your favourite thing to dress up as for Halloween? I usually dress as a witch although I have been known to dress as a devil, an angel, a black cat, and little red riding hood. This year I will play the part of a vampire, joining my motley crew of friends who will be a mummy, a werewolf and a grave digger.
5 spooky/supernatural/paranormal books you think people should read this Halloween:
There is no way to pick just 5! But I’m going to try by suggesting some of the less obvious ones. All books have been reviewed on my blog.

Released by Megan Duncan

 A kick-butt girl, a post-apocalyptic America and a hot boy who will make you swoon. Released has plenty of action, suspense, demons and death, with a little romance thrown in as well. Chaos, book 2, is also available.



Fischer prolifically writes vampire and zombie novels and novellas with plenty of humour. He adapts the typical lore and still keeps the ‘bad’ in his characters.  I love curling up with one of his stories.
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


The first in Fitzpatrick’s Hush Hush series, I completely devoured this book in one sitting. I think a lot of people see it as another supernatural romance but I didn’t. I saw it as more of a thriller, with a highly capable female character and some truly scary moments.
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

This is a unique tale of love and magic within a Southern gothic setting. There is voodoo and mystery, secret tunnels and succubi, and a long running battle between dark and light casters (witches). The first in the Caster Chronicles, this novel took me completely by surprise.
Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy

Skulduggery Pleasant is a skeleton detective with a faithful sidekick by the name of Valkyrie Cain. They are urban fantasy detective stories and the pages are filled with adventure and intrigue, elements of magic and ghastly creatures. The witty banter and sarcasm that fills the pages is highly amusing.
 What will you be reading this Halloween?
Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter and Reaping Me Softly by Kate Evangelista.

 

Thanks for letting me be part of Halloween Spooktacular, Amy!

Thanks for stopping by today Jess and being a part of Halloween Spooktacular! For anyone who hasn't already checked out Jess' blog, it really is a must! She is also a founding member of Perth YA Fans Unite, so for any other Perth bloggers out there make sure to check out that page as well to keep up to date with everything YA in the Perth community!
I recently picked up a copy of Skullduggery Pleasant and now I am even more excited to read it!

Don't forget to enter the Giveaway!
What are you all reading for Halloween?

Happy reading!
- Amy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile :) so leave me some love <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...